Sunday, April 6, 2008

Am I Missing Something?

So, I have begun the literature review portion of my research paper.  I have narrowed my topic down quite a bit, just for this class.  I will study the use of fear and stereotypes by the US military in their TV and print ads since 9/11.  What I have found is perplexing.  There is a ton of material on the military, fear and stereotypes.  However, there is very little that I can find that correlates these ideas together.  

My little literature review looks like this:
There is not a lot of information to be found regarding the United States using stereotypes to induce fear as a means to control the population.  There are several books and articles on the military.  There are several books and articles on fear.  There are several books and articles on stereotypes.  But there are no reports that I can find, linking these ideas together.
 Some of the books include: The Psychology of Terrorism edited by Bruce Michael Bongar, which teaches how and why terrorism is so effective from a psychological stance; The Arab Americans: A History by Gregory Orfalea, which chronicles Arab Americans and Americas fears after 9/11; Collateral Damage: the Psychological Consequences of America’s War on Terrorism edited by Paul R. Kimmel and Chris E. Stout, which discusses among many topics the psychological effects of a viral media’s influence during times of war. 
Multiple literary articles attempt to define or categorize Arab stereotypes.  There are articles that discuss military advertising.  But there are no articles that tie the use of fear tactics within military advertising with keeping the American people subservient to the government. 
But then I stumbled onto a website called United for Peace & Justice (UFPJ) (www.unitedforpeace.org) “United for Peace and Justice is a coalition of more than 1400 local and national groups throughout the United States who have joined together to protest the immoral and disastrous Iraq War and oppose our government's policy of permanent warfare and empire-building.” (www.unitedforpeace.org) On their website is a link to a thought process called “racialization” and it’s ties to military advertising.  “Racialization” is defined as “…1. to impose a racial interpretation on; place in a racial context. 2. to perceive, view, or experience in a racial context. 3. to categorize or differentiate on the basis of race.” (www.dictionary.com) In other words, “racialization” is the process of constructing and imposing racial stereotypes.
UFPJ contends that the United States military uses this tactic in its advertising to different races.  The military advertisers stereotype different races, and then use those stereotypes to instill different reasons as to why one should enlist.  When studying different television ads (that can be found at www.youtube.com), as well as the two current print ads I have found, it is clear that the US military is using racialization to gain enlisters. 
In order to make the connection between the US military, advertising and fear, the use of studying the production elements, stereotyping and worldview will have to be examined.  It is my goal to show that fear is a powerful and effective marketing tool that has been used by the US government to coerce Americans into a perpetual state of fear.  I will only focus on print and television ads from post-9/11 times.
I feel that this is important work.  There is very little research that has been published regarding this link.  And it asks the question “Why?”  What is it about the US government that causes people to shrink in fear rather than question political ideas?  Why has there not been a study that focuses on the links between the military, advertising and fear-mongering?

Yes, not quite what I had hoped.  In fact, I am rather dismayed at the lack of information I could find.  I am perplexed that so few sources have made themselves clear to me.  Yes, I can define a lot of things: fear, stereotypes, advertising, the military.  I can prove through the use of production elements certain thought processes.  But can I find a link?  Can I find that one little piece of "Ah-ha!" information that links these ideas together?  Or am I thinking to far into a conspiracy theory that will make me sound and/or go insane?
I realized when I decided to do this that I was climbing an uphill battle, in hip-deep snow, without shoes or a coat during a blizzard in Alaska, in January.  I realized that I couldn't just knock on the doors of military advertisers and ask "Hey, do you use stereotyping and fear as a tool to keep Americans in a perpetual state of compliance?"  I certainly couldn't ask our illustrious Commander in Chief if he agreed.  He has enough trouble forming simple sentences, much less answering complex thought processes.  And it's not like any of them would say, "Why, yes.  Yes we do.  Why don't you come inside?  We'll have tea and discuss the entire thought process behind military advertising strategy."  Yeah, that's going to happen. 
Am I looking in the wrong places?  Isn't there some brilliant scholarly mind that has already answered this question?  Have I forgotten a key phrase that when Googled will give me the answers I am looking for?  Should I be looking for answers somewhere other than the library?  Am I a complete idiot for taking on this thought process?  Has Homeland Security tagged me yet?  Will I be able to get on a plane in June for the NMRC or am I going to have to take a ten hour road trip?  Not that I mind road trips, but with gas prices, it's actually cheaper to fly to Minneapolis.  
So, where do I go from here?  That's a really good question.  My thought processes are turing toward analyzing the production elements & stereotypical content of the current TV and print ads.  I still only have the two print ads.  But they are pretty powerful ads.  And the TV ads I have found on You Tube are, well, interesting.  
I do want to thank those of you who have been extremely helpful in this process.  Your support is essential and much needed.  THANK YOU!
 

No comments: